(urth) Lupiverse(s)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Mon Mar 12 11:55:41 PDT 2012

On 3/12/2012 8:52 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Furthermore, the other two Norns, Skuld and Verthandi are also
> referenced. This seems to me a clear example of Wolfe speaking in
> code to those who are (or become) familiar with the minutiae of
> Norse mythology. Urth is not the future. It is not the present.
> It is the past.

Urth is certainly the repository of things and personages past, and the
name is appropriate, but that doesn't make it literally in our past. At
the end of history, everything is in the past, and "urth" can refer to
that as well. We might as well say that because the novel takes place
where the days of our future are past, Urth is Blue, because Wolfe knew
about the Moody Blues.

George Lucas pulled the same thing. "Darth Vader" is phonetic low German
for "dark father", but the screenplays, shooting script, photos, and
interviews from the period of the original film's development and
release are otherwise clean of any sign that Vader was intended to be
literally Luke's father.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >