(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:39:28 PST 2012

>Nick Lee: The cross dates back to the stone age. Rosary beads are not native to
>Christianity. They were borrowed from the East. Most symbolism in Christianity

>can be traced directly to Mithraism. I do agree that the Whorl is modelled on

>several cultures, but the sacrificial system is an obvious reference to

>pre-Christian religions, including those of Rome and ancient Greece.

Thanks Nick. My own response to Gerry would have been about the same though

probably less erudite.

>When Silk glimpses Christ, could it be he is seeing a vision of the future, of a
>universe following his own?

This is Dan''s view also and I can see the validity. My own initial view was that

the vision was of a Jesus on Urth who was not Christ.  But if Gene Wolfe subscribes

to the "once for all" view of Christ for the whole of the universe(s) and he considers

The Outsider to be an inter-universe deity then I could be wrong in that view.