(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:10:30 PST 2012

>Gerry Quinn: So I don’t see how you can argue that Christianity is not mentioned.

Because it isn't. Quasi-Christian symbols and concepts can be found from pre-Christ
times on earth. Notably in the Egyptian and Roman cultures from which the Whorl society
is most closely modelled upon.

I don't think the presence of Christian-like symbols in ancient times means that means
Christianity existed before Jesus Christ. So I don't think similar symbols in the story
need indicate Christianity in the Sun Series.

In a previous post I agreed with the possibility of the scenario Dan'l recently
posted: That Silk's vision of a Jesus-like guy was in fact Jesus Christ of earth
and the Outsider draws the image from across universes to provide that vision. Like
Dan'l, I don't see much evidence of a Christ on Urth. Postulating a secret, hidden,
society of Christians somewhere on Urth and unmentioned by the author just isn't very
convincing.

If you are unwilling to acknowlege that quasi-Christian symbolism existed before
Christ on earth I could sorta see how the "sign of addition" might appear as proof
postive that Christ existed on Urth. Still I would think the presence of haruspicy
(divination via animal entrails) and augury (divination via flight patterns of birds)
by the priests of Viron would at least hint that this is a pre-Christian, pagan sort
of religion.