(urth) The Wizard

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Mar 5 13:45:40 PST 2012

From: Lee Berman

> > James Wynn: The reference to "the son of Thyone", to "Silent Silk"
> > and "Silver Silk"...

> For me the reference to Silenus and Silvanus is similar
> to the earlier "Bird Of the Woods" reference to Rhea Silvia.
> The Latin name doesn't refer to a bird but I think we are supposed
> to catch the connection.
That reference is clear, strong and inescapable because the whole of the name is there, and because it’s targeted at one specific person, and because it matches numerous elements in the same short section which clearly refer to Romulus and Remus.  Also, IIRC, there is no other reason for her to be called Bird of the Woods.  And the etymological connection is at least partial.
By contrast, the supposed reference of Silent and Silver Silk to Dionysus is based on just a few syllables, there is no etymological connection at all, the characters supposedly referenced are not Dionysus anyway, the section of the book is not devoted to Dionysus, and there’s a clear reason given for the epithets which has nothing to do with Dionysus.  [More interesting, IMO, is whether they relate to something sinister rather than an aspect of Silk’s character: is Silk silent because he likes to watch his flock, or has he become a new version of gasping Piatus?  I don’t think it is the latter, because I don’t see any other reason to suspect it.]
The two instances have little in common, IMO.

> One of the few areas James and I tend to disagree upon. A good argument by
> James.   Perhaps it boils down to whether the Sun series takes place in our
> universe or in an alternate version sans Christ. I dunno. Perhaps Wolfe is
> speaking to James and others in a Christian code I am not privy to. Or
> perhaps the need for Christ is so strong for some he must be inserted, even
> when His absence seems so apparent (to me). Must one be the "right"
> interpretation?
Except that He’s right there; for example in the clear Palm Sunday reference, and the co-opted Sign of Addition.
- Gerry Quinn