(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 07:05:49 PST 2012

Yes, thanks for that, James.  I'm not at all surprised to find Wolfe
referencing a 'pagan' myth and absorbing it into the 'myth' of Christ,
which he as a Catholic would take to be more primary.  It's one of my
favourite things he does in his fiction - and as you show, he's following
on from Lewis in this (you quoted one of my favourite passages from one of
my favourite essays by Lewis).  I had just thought I'd seen some here
making Dionysus the more primary allusion, but that could have been
careless reading and skimming on my part as I'm unfortunately unable to
give everything posted here a close read.

-DOJP