(urth) Oannes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:46:36 PDT 2012

On 3/19/2012 1:56 PM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:

>     This is a paradox that (I think it was) CS Lewis pointed out
>     regarding worldwide religions and religious sects based on the God
>     of the Bible (including Islam and LDS): In other world religions
>     God is either impersonal and infinite or personal and finite. The
>     God of the Bible, he says, is both infinite and person. The
>     Outsider-as-Increate is a very Bible-oriented deity.
>
> ___________________________________
> Does that make him a syncretistic combination of East (impersonal
> infinite, e.g, Buddhism) and West (personal finite, e.g., Thor)? Or is
> this equally true of the OT as it is of the NT?

Yeah. I would say it is equally true of the OT and the NT God.
The OT creates the Earth and the sun, moon, stars and light itself. Yet,
he has personal conversations with Moses and Abraham. The NT God is just
an extrapolation of that as described in the gospel of John and Paul's
letter to the Colossians.

> Also, are there any examples of an impersonal finite god? Or would
> that just be a BDO?

That's a good question. Big Dumb Object is an interesting term for it.
An impersonal finite god would be a god drained of everything worthy of
worship.

J.