(urth) Oannes

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Mar 19 09:52:42 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
To: urth at urth.net
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:34 AM
Subject: (urth) Oannes

Not a coincidence that bisexual, boyish, deified Alexander was the impetus for
centuries of androgynous Dionysus worship (and not a coincidence that Typhon is bisexual).
Alexander was notable for shaving and for making his soldiers shave. Severian shaves
himself with his sword and I think that is a nod to the Alexanderian practice.

What's the evidence that Typhon is bisexual? Not that I don't think he is---note the double-penised depiction of Pas on the obscene tapestry, which seems to suggest a dual sexual nature that some perceived as his primary feature. Note also the demand for a tribute of boys and girls by the tyrant of the tale of the Student. But is that evidence or conjecture?