(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:22:12 PDT 2012

Yeah, David, I know what you mean about 'personal God' and even more so
'personal Jesus' - the latter phrase has no good use at all to me.  The
former can be misleading, but I think it's trying to talk about a view of
God as willing and knowing and feeling and acting and so on (even if also
'Beyond Personality' to mention the the title of the third book in Lewis's
Mere Christianity).  It's often put in terms of gods usually being either
personal but finite (polytheism) or infinite but impersonal (some forms of
pantheism, perhaps, or deism and others) - whereas the traditional
monotheistic conception (mainly Jewish, Christian, Muslim, I guess) is a
God that is BOTH personal AND infinite - and all the theology follows:
 viz. the many 'attributes' and so on - omnipotent, omnipresent,
omnibenevolent, etc.  I think Wolfe's fiction hints toward the orthodox
paradox of God as BOTH transcendent (totally beyond us in divine
incomprensibility) AND 'immanent' (near to his creation, involved, even
incarnational).

Cave said he didn't believe in a personal God who was 'looking after him'
or something along those lines.  But he did also say in the same breath
that he was 'open' and that he wouldn't want anyone to come up with a
'proof' for God because he loved mystery in the universe.  Again, I think
Wolfe manages to avoid 'proofs' and embrace mystery - yet also say
something concrete about whether God is there and what God is like.

-DOJP