(urth) Lupiverse(es)

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:06:37 PDT 2012

Gerry Quinn wrote (13-03-2012 00:09):
> *From:* António Marques <mailto:entonio at gmail.com>
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>  > *From:* Lee Berman <mailto:severiansola at hotmail.com>
>  > >> But I think you missed a clue there which hints at a connection to
>  > >> earth. An ancient language is mentioned in which the words for gift
>  > >> and now are homophones. This language is surely english. The
>  > >> chances of it being another language are slim and pointless.
>  >
>  > > What makes you think I missed something so completely obvious?
>
>  > I don't know what the two of you are discussing, but the portuguese
>  > words for gift and now are the same. I'd be surprised if it was only
>  > english and portuguese. Praesens means 'being in front of'.
> Now you mention it, I think I recall you reminding us of it before!

I should clarify 'praesens' is latin. Portuguese has:

- presente 'present', agora 'now', presentemente 'currently'
- presente 'gift', prenda 'gift', presentear 'to gift', dádiva 'solemn
gift', dom 'godly gift'

and surely others I'm not thinking of right now.

In romance,
- 'present' (praesens 'being in front of') is a present participle
- 'past' (passatus 'passed') is a past participle
- 'future' (futurus 'going to be') is a future participle