(urth) Short Story 31: The Toy Theater

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:54:16 PDT 2012

To jump ahead almost forty years, Wolfe's "On a Vacant Face a Bruise" in
the Strange Birds chapbook features some returning characters from Toy
Theater. "Vacant Face" was inspired by the puppet-like artwork that
illustrates the chapbook, but I was still surprised to see figures from
this obscure story reappear several decades later. I'd need to re-read both
stories to see how they interrelate, but it does strike me as significant
that the puppets have clearly taken long-term residence in Wolfe's mind.

Info on Strange Birds:
http://dreamhavenbooks.com/detail.php?id=New014398

-Matt