(urth) Chesterton'a "lunar virescence"

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jun 1 10:36:44 PDT 2012

Has anyone had a chance to read any of the musings (as opposed to the
fictions) of GK Chesterton? They're all free for Kindle, and I recommend
them. Wolfe holds him in high regard, and it's easy to see why. He had
some fascinating opinions on myths and religion and other things, and an
amazing way of making a point indirectly but powerfully. You read him
and say, "I see what you did there. Points to you."

One of his essays is about how the moon is obviously not made of green
cheese, but certainly is made of cheese. He theorizes that by the end of
time, it will have aged to greenness, if not beyond. He doesn't say, but
he almost seems to be suggesting that the popular myth amounts to
foreknowledge.

Perhaps this is why Severian does not elaborate on the history of green
Lune.