(urth) Predictions Re: The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:00:54 PDT 2012

No dia 27/07/2012, às 18:59, Allan Anderson <rubel at goosemoon.org> escreveu:

> Regarding the "wrong predictions," I wonder if Wolfe was trolling his readers, hoping to get them off their rears. I think he wrote them to perturb current readers, not to accurately prognosticate.

Almost no one predicted the end of the USSR and that did were derided. A prediction that the Russians and Americans would keep on their standoff while becoming very much like each other is not very off the mark.

Nor do I see the Illiteracy thing as misplaced. Give it a bit more time. I blame the breakdown of familial transmission of culture brought about by modern jobs.

For me, the shocking bit is that it really was possible to seriously predict technological development far beyond what we have now.