(urth) Home Fires questions

Stephen Hoy stephenhoy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 11:02:52 PST 2012

David Stockhoff added a few comments recently about the use of "hundred day" in Home Fires, exploring the possibility that the calendar is altered in some way that may illuminate the background of the story. Like the dialects of certain characters, the colloquial use of "hundred day" adds a distinct flavor to the story, but I haven't found any indication the calendar has been changed. Home Fires seems to have a 24 hr clock, a 7 day week, and 365+ day year. Still, I keep wondering whether we can eke out another layer of meaning.

I've been searching for some secondary association of "hundred day" that connects to mind-control or memory enhancement or some well-worn epigram of Simonides (as in the dedication to AEG) or some mnemonic device. This line of attack seemed reasonable because the first "Reflection" chapter opens with a discussion of memories, where Skip offers the idea that each morning we rebuild our identity with scraps of memories pieced together from "somewhere" upon waking. Unfortunately, the memory approach leads nowhere.

Just to see what would happen, I tried translating "hundred day" into standard metric form = "hectoDies." Maybe this refers to a person named Hector who dies or someone whose alias is Hector Diaz. If there is such a person, Hector and Achille would have it in for each other.

Possibly interesting, but pretty flimsy unless there are other traces of the Iliad hidden away somewhere.