(urth) On Blue's Waters (Initial thoughts)

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 11:12:30 PST 2012

I just finished *On Blue's Waters*.  It took me a while to really get into
it, but I look forward to reading the rest of the Short Sun books.  For
some reason it didn't capture my imagination like most of the others Wolfe
novels I have read; I think I was expecting the very verbose suffusion of
description found in the New and Long Suns.  I also thought the way some of
the characters spoke was uncharacteristically gimmicky for Wolfe (I have in
mind the character who helps Horn devise the rough map towards the
beginning and spoke a bit like Yoda).  By the introduction of Krait,
though, I was hooked.  Is anyone else just starting out with the New Sun
trilogy, or are you all old Wolfe pros? [?]