(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:47:41 PST 2012

Ah!  Thanks for pointing this out.  To be honest, Wizard-Knight was what
got me properly into Wolfe and I hadn't yet really read the Solar Cycle and
other works to see his themes and how they work.  (I had actually read
3/4ths of New Sun some years before, but was mostly baffled - both
intrigued and fatigued.)  I'm sure I'll see so much when I re-read
Wizard-Knight.

It's funny if some find that too overt.  I often find Wolfe most poignant
when most overt on Christian themes (perhaps especially Eucharistic ones).
They usually don't make me cringe at all but come across like a wise old
desert father or something.  (I do share his Christian faith, but overt
Christian themes in fiction can make me squirm more than anything else when
done poorly.)  Then again, what I took to be some pretty obvious moments
(e.g. wine and bread rituals coinciding with a theophany of the Outsider in
Short Sun), some seem to perplexingly read as being mainly about
referencing Dionysus myths or what have you!  So there ya go.

-DOJP