(urth) Charles Williams

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:53:04 PST 2012

I haven't read the rest of Powers's 'Faultlines' trilogy, but I greatly
look forward to it - everybody says they peter out a bit, but I'm just
excited to see what the heck he's going to do with time, space, ghosts, and
so on.  Wonderfully inventive and playful imagination in usually crisp and
enjoyable prose.

Blood Meridian has an extended tarot reading scene by circus performers
round a campfire that seems to suggest a lot philosophically (incredibly
dense novel).  I read an academic paper that very convincingly argued that
one of the main tarot predictions came true in detail late in the novel,
bringing the novel out of strict realism, the paper argued, and into
romance and myth.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: Williams pretty much invented modern "urban fantasy."

Yes!  And this only recently dawned on me.  And Lewis's essay brings this
out very effectively.

 GW: The problem with this it is hard to see where to stop. Later you say,
   "Gee, I should have included so and so," and you didn't think of that
   person at that time. J.R.R. Tolkein, just to start with. Charles
Williams,
   not as much as the others, but to some extent.

Thanks, Gwern!  Knew I'd seen that.

And for the record, I LOVE *some* of Charles Williams's poetry, especially
in the Arthurian cycle.  I mean, heck, at one point both Merlin and
Lancelot are werewolves!  (Lots of things in this cycle remind me of Wolfe
too.)

-DOJP

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen