(urth) Charles Williams

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:52:44 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Daniel Petersen
<danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I remembered Wolfe mentioning Williams favourably in an interview
> once.  Anyone know?

   JJ: So Lewis and Chesterton would have been among the formative influences
   in your paradigm.

   GW: Oh yes, very definitely.

   JJ: Could you name others, within the area of theology and Christianity.

   GW: The problem with this it is hard to see where to stop. Later you say,
   "Gee, I should have included so and so," and you didn't think of that
   person at that time. J.R.R. Tolkein, just to start with. Charles Williams,
   not as much as the others, but to some extent. David Lindsay's A Voyage to
   Arcturus, which is really strange, and I think very theologically
   oriented. Much of the theology I disagree with, but I thought it was
   marvelous as a work of fiction. It is a marvelous example of someone's
   expressing his theological beliefs in a novel.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net