(urth) Charles Williams

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Mon Dec 17 08:57:48 PST 2012

I would definitely start with /War in Heaven/, which does indeed seem to
have influenced Powers and Blaylock. The two best of his novels are, in
my opinion, /Descent into Hell/ and /All Hallows Eve/, but they are much
less accessible than /War/.

Williams' poetry is worth a look, but many people find it impenetrable.
It's certainly old-fashioned.

Fernando

On 12/17/2012 10:30 AM, Antonin Scriabin wrote:
> Hello!  Is anyone familiar with the work of Charles Williams?  From a
> brief look online, he seems to have some similarities to MacDonald,
> and I thought there was a good chance some of you Wolfeans (?) would
> have some input.  Any suggestions for a novel of his to start with?

Fernando Q. Gouvea                http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor and Chair
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College                     Editor, Carus Mathematical Monographs
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://www.maa.org/maareviews

Dear Miss Manners: Please list some tactful ways of removing a man's saliva from your face.

Gentle Reader: Please list some decent ways of acquiring a man's saliva on your face ...