(urth) Silkhorn as Blue god

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 20:11:05 PST 2012

I don't know if this has been noted before but at the end of
OBW, the narrator is telling several stories at once in typical
confusing fashion, shuttling between them with each new paragraph.
Parsing out one thread it seems to me that not only is Horn conflated
with Silk, but that character is conflated with Babbie, and blind Pig
(and perhaps blind Tartaros also), with the suggestion of possession by
Whorl gods via a sacred Window. At the very end of the book, there is a
very similar vibe as at the end of UotNS, where Severian is recognized
as a god of a watery planet.

Horn is camping on a river island and calling to Babbie. Then:

>Someone on shore called again for Babbie and I understood that he meant
>me; it never so much as occured to me then that I had sometimes been
>called "Silk" or "Horn"...I waded ashore and set off through the forest
>at a trot...I found him in the forest, sitting in the dark under the
>trees. I could not see him. It was too dark to see anything. But I knelt
>beside him and laid my head upon his knee, and he comforted me.

Later, the narrator meets a couple kids (Brother and Sister) in the woods.
He teaches them how to fish and hunt. The kids see and interact with the
Vanished people sometimes. The narrator says: