(urth) Predictions Re: The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 05:55:44 PDT 2012

On 8/1/2012 8:41 AM, Ryan Dunn wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 8:07 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> Personally, I took the whole essay as a bit of a lark on the part of Mr. Wolfe. I did like how he associated each finger with a facet of our human nature, though, then used it as a platform for his societal predictions.
>>>
>>> . . .
>>>
>>> - Literacy was a big paranoia back then, eh? Even still, half of this prediction could be interpreted as totally true. Or that same half could be interpreted to be completely false. It seems to me like Gene was giving non-predictions as much as predictions.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's just me.
>> Sure, of course it was a lark. And yes, one could easily interpret each one as /half /true. Where does that get us?
>>
>> As clarification, I didn't mean Wolfe /intended/ to predict
>>
>> "what cranky, ill-informed old people will believe/fear/desire in 2012."
>>
>> And yet he succeeded---in my estimation, by /more than/ half. That must mean something.
>>
>> BTW, literacy paranoia has been in vogue in the US since at least the 1960s.
> Since a few posters were giving varying amounts of weight to these predictions and letting it color their impression of him, the place my observation was hoping to get us was actually out of such a lofty critique of what I took to be a half joke blip of Mr. Wolfe's musings.
>
> ...ryan
Understood. But what's "lofty" about making an observation about the
written word---or trying to make sense of another reader's observation?

One could easily write whole books of criticism about the paranoid style
in Gene Wolfe, and in dystopian SF in general (as someone has already
noted). I don't know what they would conclude, but I'd be interested in
reading them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paranoid_Style_in_American_Politics