(urth) Short Story 43: Beautyland

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:04:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it from a nuclear fallout or just bad business practices?

I read this long ago, but nuclear fallout never occurred to me. It doesn't
fit in a story about ecology & money, a sudden nuclear war wouldn't be a
persistent hazard over the entire country and wipe out *all* native
wildlife, and the fallout that could persist over many years would both be
fairly weak and wearing filters would not do much to help - certainly you
wouldn't start immediately choking on the air. All of it fits better a
general motif of smog and ozone and whatnot.

(At the time I read it, I wondered how attractive the animals or parcel of
land could possibly be, if the rest of the country was *that* bad off.)

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net