(urth) Predictions Re: The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Wed Aug 1 14:27:40 PDT 2012

On 7/27/2012 11:28 AM, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Gwern Branwen<gwern0 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I've read through most of _Starwater Strains_ now, and my initial
>> belief has hardened: Gene's writings are definitely getting more
>> political. In his older works like _Peace_ or _Book of the New Sun_
>> (pre-90s), I didn't notice anything political, or at least,
>> contemporary. But in stuff from the last 2 decades? My suspicion has
>> become certainty.

Sorry I did not see this earlier. If you can find a copy of /Operation
ARES/, his first (and pretty uneven)  novel, you'll see lots of
political and contemporary stuff pretty much on the surface, including a
satirical ending. I think the viewpoints have always been there. I
should also mention /Free Live Free/, which is contemporary and highly
"political" and was published in 1984 (!).

FWIW

JBJordan