(urth) The Book of the New Sun vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:48:34 PDT 2012

Quick clarification for those dropping in:  I, Daniel Otto Jack Petersen,
DID NOT WRITE THAT REVIEW.  I merely copied in its closing sentences.

Basically, I'm pleased as punch that Wolfe's New Sun is being thought of
and engaged during and related to the Game of Thrones hype.  I, of course,
tend to think it sounds kind of hilariously absurd to say the Ice and Fire
stuff excels New Sun in just about any way.  Then again, I just started
reading Stephen King for the first time in my life recently (I tend to
avoid mega-bestseller stuff) and whilst he does not have the literary merit
of folks like Wolfe, I was utterly shocked to discover that his
storytelling skill can be pretty freaking unbelievable and some of the
characterisations are indeed pretty powerful - and he's really overall got
a unique voice by which he kind of manages to hold his own in the literary
scheme of things.  I mention this because it made me wonder if Martin might
have some of these qualities (I've never read any).  I tend to doubt it for
some reason.  I'm open to it, but I suspect David's intuition that Martin's
stuff is all surface with no depth is more likely.

-DOJP