(urth) Eddison [was Re: If I already like ...]

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 07:47:40 PDT 2012

> From: Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>

>Another author I have been alerted to is E. R. Eddison, who seems more in the realm of high fantasy than science fiction or urban fantasy, and is cited as an inspiration for the likes of Lewis and Tolkien.  I picked up The Worm Ouroboros but haven't read it.  Have any of you read his books?  Any thoughts about his writings in relation to some of the others we have talked about?

I find Eddison's Tudor style really remarkable, though I'm no expert.  He resembles Wolfe in Political Incorrectness, though he's a lot more in your face about it--in fact, I can recommend him if you like what's been called "assertional vigor".  Not to spoil anything, but there are some points where his beliefs and feelings are a little disturbing to me.

Jerry Friedman