(urth) If I already like ...

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:01:29 PDT 2012

That's too bad Wolfe didn't respond to your invitation.  I'd love to see
him do it.  And I'm thankful you put up his excellent Tolkien piece since
the Tolkien anthology he wrote if for rejected (!) it.

But as to the Hodgson influence, I would have thought worldview would be no
barrier at all to you seeing it since you readily acknowledge Lovecraft's
influence on Wolfe and those two cosmic views are diametrically opposed.
 Plus, Wolfe gives as much airtime to Pagan, Stoic, Cosmic Horror, etc.
worldviews in his fiction as he does to his Catholicism, usually trying (I
think) to see what he takes to be elements of truth in all the former
subsumed and 'perfected' in the latter.

-DOJP