(urth) If I already like ...

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:44:19 PDT 2012

You mean 'The House on the Borderland'? I don't find the themes or the
settings familiar, but there may be something about the 'tone', whatever
that is.

Yes.  Frankly, Wolfe's horror 'tone' strikes me as much closer to Hodgson
than Lovecraft, even though Wolfe perhaps deals more explicitly with
Lovecraftian themes.  There is a strange animal terror connected to the
more cosmic and numinous horror and awe in Hodgy that I don't so much find
in Lovey but do find echoed in Wolfe, his Solar monsters especially perhaps
- notules, alzabo, devil fish on spongey island, leatherskin, etc.  I have
heard WHH referenced in at least one review of Wolfe.

-DOJP