(urth) If I already like ...

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:28:59 PDT 2012

I have *The Rediscovery of Man *by Cordwainer Smith; I read one or two of
the stories some time ago and enjoyed them, but haven't looked through it
for a while.

Steven Erikson is definitely entertaining; he isn't the wordsmith that some
of these other authors are, but he can write a pretty fascinating (and
large) plot, has good humor throughout his books, and has some of the best
(and most emotional) action sequences I have come across.  I would never
defend it as great literature, but his *Malazan Book of the Fallen* is
definitely my top "guilty pleasure" fantasy.  I know he is a big fan of
Glen Cook, but from what I have read, *Malazan *is superior to Cook's *Black
Company.*

"Flan O'Brien, Alasdair Gray's Lanark, Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility or
The Temple of the Golden Pavillion, Proust."

I haven't read any of these, though I am aware of most of them.  I am a big
fan of William T. Vollmann and Thomas Pynchon.