(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 92, Issue 48

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:01:02 PDT 2012

If I remember correctly, the Dwarves were originally a "dark" race created
by Aule without the influence or aid of Eru.  Eru later cleanses them when
he intervenes in their impending destruction.  Aule was going to destroy
them (ashamed that he created them in secret) when Eru made it known that
he was aware of their existence.  So they have a less than "holy" creation
in *The Silmarillion*, but are later sanctified when Eru allows them to
live.  I am not positive, but I think there are a good number of "evil"
Dwarves in some of the other "mythological" writings as well.