(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Matthew Knight jacobeiserman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:25:59 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Thomas Bitterman <tom at bitterman.net> wrote:

There is a single chapter, "Guns", which reads, in outline: socialized
> healthcare is terrible; the burning bed defense is a crock; families don't
> love/help each other any more; the police and government are worthless; the
> developed countries are all out to get us; the third world won't even help
> fight an alien invasion; the narrator is the very essence of humanity, or
> at least Western civilization, the embodiment of law, justice and
> civilization; his masters would spit on him if they even remembered what
> those things were; and he's got guns and is going out to kill people.  I
> did not leap to the conclusion that there was a political message here - I
> was pushed.

 Yes--I hadn't even reached this when I posted my reaction to the sharia
bit, but that chapter descended into Author Filibuster territory for me.
 Hope the rest is better.  I never thought I'd be comparing Wolfe to Terry
Goodkind, but at least it was 3 pages instead of 30...