(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Matthew Knight jacobeiserman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 21:15:40 PDT 2012

2012/4/10 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>

> Only someone who thinks sharia has no business in Europe can consider that
> the mention of sharia in Europe is objectionable politics. Who's the
> xenophobe then? One might as well ask what effect does a protagonist being
> black has on a story written by a white author, and leap to the conclusion
> that the author is a white supremacist who's subtly complaining that blacks
> may one day be protagonists of something.

Sorry, this doesn't ring true.  Sharia isn't just "mentioned" here, but
framed in a specific way.  The kind of sharia we are presented with is far
from the kind which has gone into effect in parts of the UK.  Rather than
that form, restricted to certain issues of family law and civil disputes
over things like inheritance, we are presented with sharia-as-bogeyman,
where theft results in severed limbs, and (probably) blasphemy of the
prophet or adultery lead to death by stoning.  Sharia law is about much
more than violent punishment, but it's not usually presented with nuance in
the West, including in this book.  At least, the part I've read thus far.