(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Matthew Knight jacobeiserman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:21:14 PDT 2012

Most of the reaction is overblown, as Nick has pointed out.

However, I'm currently 100 pages into "Home Fires," and I must say that the
"sharia law--only in the EU" line punched me in the gut.  It made me start
asking myself which particular pundits Wolfe has been reading.  As somebody
who grew up in a very monoethnic fundamentalist Christian milieu, who now
has several Middle Eastern friends, I have been finding myself forced into
the role of the "defender of Islam" all too often lately out of basic
frustration over some of the bald-faced generalizations and lies that get
peddled as fact, and Europe's Islamic future is a meme that keeps coming up
in discussions.  Maybe it's just personal experience making me
oversensitive.

I don't want to inflame anything, as I recognize that Wolfe may indeed have
a larger proportion of right-leaning fans than, say, China Mieville or
Richard Morgan (or...Neil Gaiman?), and of course his writings display
enormous nuance.  I think Wolfe's writing is stellar enough to appeal to
readers of all political stances.  Still, I wonder if any literary scholar
has ever undertaken a Said-influenced "Orientalist" critique of something
like "Seven American Nights"?