(urth) Short Story 15: A Method Bit in 'B'

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Sat Apr 7 14:30:12 PDT 2012

Marc Aramini wrote:

> Stoke-on-wold is a real place near Stratford-on-avon and Upper Slaughter (doesn't England have some great names?)

Actually, that's Stow-on-the-Wold, but excellent job on digging up
those film references.

Stoke-on-Wold sounds like a combination of Stow-on-the-Wold and
Stoke-on-Trent. I used to think it was Wolfe's slightly clumsy attempt
to invent an authentic-sounding English village name, but I realise
now that it could be *deliberately* bad - the sort of thing a
script-writer on a B-movie might have come up with.