(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Apr 2 08:25:38 PDT 2012

True. That term occurs in embedded stories rather than in Severian's
mouth at least half the time, which has led me to consider it a kind of
secondary belief, i.e., perhaps folkloric. Note that in your quote
Severian sees the Pancreator with a hand, unlike the Increate, so it is
in a way a specifically human understanding or extension of the
Increate's being. As such it must fall short.

Sometimes when the term appears it suggests the Stoic-influenced
interpretation of Genesis: "Surely the Pancreator knows all mysteries.
He spoke the long word that is our universe . . . " My point here is
that this is only one interpretation, one philosophic (or sophist)
approach, and therefore a kind of sub-story.

Which is not to dismiss it. The Pancreator seems to be the Increate
caught in the act of creating. But what exactly he directly created
beyond "our universe" is unclear.