(urth) If I already like ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 18:29:33 PDT 2012

On 4/18/2012 5:35 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 4/18/2012 12:07 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>> From: Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com>

>> There's a brownie in the City, and what appears to be an animated
>> statue, and the killing of a changeling (that eats hot coals), and a
>> gateway to Faerie and a way to communicate to someone in Faerie, and
>> a resurrected Barbarossa.
>
> None of that seemed to make a difference to the plot, being more along
> the lines of conceits or dreams on the parts of various fallible
> people. The concept of people shrinking as they go farther toward some
> unreachable center of being so that there is room for ever more
> incredible places and beings is fascinating, but if it is more than a
> metaphor, I lost it in the character drama along with all the above.
>
> I might give it another shot sometime, but I'd need some kind of
> really juicy spoiler to motivate me.

But juicy spoilers is exactly what you won't get out of Crowley. Not
since /Engine Summer/ at least, where plenty of stuff happened that you
could say was "cool." I wish he still did that in his longer works.
Fortunately there are his shorter ones, but these I find to be
irreducible. To summarize them is to do them harm.