(urth) If I already like ...

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 10:48:09 PDT 2012

Again, well put. The few times I encounter negative personal (i.e., nonprofessional) reviews of LB, the same causes are cited: repetition, inaction, lack of resolution. These are at least observable and therefore superficially real---but they are the kind of challenges that made me reread it again and again. What DID happen? How DID it end---or did it?To me, a thousand pages with only a few gorgeous glimpses of something exalted and unreal just behind the veil are well worth it.

Some people may not get it that the story eventually turns back around to themselves. What are they left with when the Tale moves on, to wherever it goes, and they return to their own lives? Truth and meaning will not be delivered to the reader as on a plate---maybe can't even be achieved, merely sought and approached. Readers of Wolfe should not find this situation unfamiliar.