(urth) If I already like ...

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 10:07:56 PDT 2012

>From: Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com>
>On 4/18/2012 6:59 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>>>
>>> _Little, Big_ was a disappointment for me. Part of the novel is urban,
>>> but the specks of actual fantasy come before and after.

There's a brownie in the City, and what appears to be an animated statue, and the killing of a changeling (that eats hot coals), and a gateway to Faerie and a way to communicate to someone in Faerie, and a resurrected Barbarossa.

>> Do you mean classic Victorian-style fantasy vs urban fantasy?
>

>I was ready for either, but outside of a talking fish and bird, I came
>up empty.

There's lots of other fantasy in it too.

> It has to be the least fantastic fantasy I've ever encountered.

I take it you haven't read /Freedom and Necessity/, by Steven Brust and Emma Bull.  Or some Robertson Davies books, such as /The Rebel Angels/ and /The Cunning Man/, or /The Mask of Apollo/ by Mary Renault (unless they don't count since they weren't marketed as fantasy).

>Other than that, it was okay.

Jerry Friedman