(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: R.A. Lafferty

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:08:00 PDT 2012

Don't get me wrong - I don't encounter 'lows' in Wolfe terribly often.
 Maybe 'mids' a bit more.

I think one 'low' or 'mid' would be when his narrative loses its drive -
last book of Long Sun is surely a classic example (a series I totally love
regardless of that - and the very ending picks up again).  I haven't
analysed how or why this happens.

Another low or mid would be the 'coldness' that many have remarked in
Wolfe's viewpoint or voice or something - it's alienating somehow to the
reader.  E.g.:
http://examinedlife.typepad.com/johnbelle/2003/10/gene_wolfe.html.

To some degree this is just something to get used to - or was for me, and
then I actually began to feel a lot of warmth in certain ways at certain
times - most especially from the likes of Silk and Horn.  Anyway, it's not
really a low or a flaw - it's more a 'trade off' for other marvels and joys
Wolfe gives.  Not every writer can achieve every literary effect.

I just finished *Castleview* the other day and some of the dialogue in
there is a true low in Wolfe to me.  (Many highs are in there as well.)  In
fact, dialogue and the way people speak tend to be proving grounds in
Wolfe's craft where he either shines in genius and skill or practically
falls on his face.

-DOJP