(urth) If I already like ...

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 12:08:03 PDT 2012

I strongly second the recommendation for Crowley, and I'd start with Little, Big, although he's never written anything bad since Beasts.  For some reason Crowley put the climax of the Aegypt series in the third book, and described the fourth book as an "extended coda", if I remember correctly.  It's still much better than The Urth of the New Sun in my opinion, though.

It's not possible that you've read Wolfe, MacDonald, and Tolkien without reading C. S. Lewis, right?

You might try Jack Vance, probably starting with "The Moon Moth".  My reasons for disliking him are similar to my reasons for disliking Lafferty, which obviously don't apply for you, and Wolfe admires him greatly.  He's another writer with an unflagging imagination.

Borges of course.  Start with the stories written from 1939 to 1949 (but not the Parodi stories).

Which brings me to Nabokov, who as I occasionally say is the most Wolfean writer outside sf (or Wolfe is the most Nabokovian sf writer).  Pnin and Lolita are his two classics in the literary tradition.  Pale Fire (my favorite) has more fantasy.  A fan of Lafferty might especially like Invitation to a Beheading.  There were some interesting comments on two of Nabokov's short stories, "The Visit to the Museum" and "Details of a Sunset", on NABOKV-L today.  If anyone here has read either of those, I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Jerry Friedman