(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: R.A. Lafferty

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:33:21 PDT 2012

Wolfe definitely considered himself a significant step below Laff.

I can only attribute this to modesty and a failure to outgrow youthful
enthusiasm (much as I haven't outgrown Tolkien).

I don't think it was 'youthful' for Wolfe - they both had their first stuff
published in the 1960s - Wolfe just barely behind Laff.  If I set aside my
hyperbole (and my personal preference for Lafferty overall over Wolfe
overall), then I'd say they actually match for me in terms of literary
greatness - they both have their incredible highs and lows and if I place
the very best of each right next to each other - it can be pretty close at
times.  (Lafferty's still a level above.)  Hey!  How'd that get there?
 Can't control my parenthetical thoughts just now.

-DOJP