(urth) Science Fiction and Fantasy Question

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 05:21:25 PDT 2012

>Gerry Quinn: But the same argument could be made for any of the millions of
>spaceships in the universe.  There is only one Ship, but it’s rather clear
>that there are numerous interstellar craft – the one Jonas crashed in, the
>ones Typhon’s lieutenants fled in, the ones that were lost in time in Cyriaca’s
>story, the one Barbatus and Co. flit around in...

I think there are two different questions being answered here. If the question
is whether the Whorl could be a precursor to Tzadkiel's Ship I suppose the
answer is yes.

If the question is whether Wolfe intended The Whorl to be a precursor to
Tzadkiel's Ship I think the answer is probably not. As has been noted, there
is not much structural or funtional similarity between these ships.
Moreover,if Wolfe had intended to show a progression I would think he would
have put some sort of clues in the story to that effect, especially at the
end of RTTW. I don't see any.