(urth) Science Fiction and Fantasy Question

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Apr 15 12:23:52 PDT 2012

From: Nathan C. Tresch
> Gerry Quinn:
> >  It can’t really be.  The Whorl is a hollowed out asteroid, and has no sails.
> > The Ship has symmetric decks and sails.  And the interior descriptions do not
> > match at all.

> If the Whorl is The Ship in its infancy, all of the Whorl could have been
> converted into one off the vast storage modules or even the interior of the
> main ship body.

> >  Also the Whorl’s life is limited.  After 300 years it is still functional but
> > not in great condition.

> We don't really know the extent of the repairs made before the Whorl left,
>  nor do we know where it went.  Maybe it left to go and undergo a
> transformation into something closer to what The Ship became by the time
> Severian was being transported.

But the same argument could be made for any of the millions of spaceships in the universe.  There is only one Ship, but it’s rather clear that there are numerous interstellar craft – the one Jonas crashed in, the ones Typhon’s lieutenants fled in, the ones that were lost in time in Cyriaca’s story, the one Barbatus and Co. flit around in...

- Gerry Quinn