(urth) Science Fiction and Fantasy Question

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Apr 15 05:07:47 PDT 2012

From: Sergei SOLOVIEV

> One extra remark - to me, from the point of view of literary evolution
> of Gene Wolfe, the
> Tsadkiel ship seems a possible development of the idea of the ship in
> "Silhouette".

I would rather place the Whorl as an evolution of the ship in Silhouette.  Both are human-constructed, and both have been subject to mission-creep (although in Silhouette the crew have only been aboard about twenty years ship time).  In both cases there are Sleepers who, when woken, feel they have come on board yesterday.

There are other echoes of future work: the enhanced height of the Captain is reminiscent of exultants, for example.

- Gerry Quinn