(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Apr 12 09:32:40 PDT 2012

On 4/11/2012 7:38 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> I think the ultimate detterent from repeat offenses is clearly a quick death not tied up in a too long and costly appeals system.  How can that not be a crime deterrent?

It can lead to spree killing, like the Phillipine "amok". If you've
already got the maximum punishment coming, there are no further
consequences to additional crimes.

There's a similar effect where lifers w/no parole are free to mistreat
(as in rape and maim) other prisoners, assault guards, etc, esp if
administrative punishment like solitary is circumscribed; as long as
they don't kill again, further sanction is temporary. With death already
guaranteed, even killing would have no differential in punishment,
unless you wanted to reinstate torture or apply sanction to family
members....wonderful prospect.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >