(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Matthew Knight jacobeiserman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:45:02 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the ultimate detterent from repeat offenses is clearly a quick
> death not tied up in a too long and costly appeals system.  How can that
> not be a crime deterrent?  (Remember that some people in charge of the
> venue were executed for not enough seats at the Rumble in the Jungle
> between Ali and Foreman - wow!)
>
> Okay, I've said my conservative "people need to be held accountable" bit,
> I will run back to the Wolfe short stories now.

OK, veering.  Gwern has already addressed the likelihood of repeat
offenses.  But if this remains your position, for justice's sake there has
to be not the slightest shred of doubt of the executee's guilt.  Proving
this absolutely may be marginally easier than proving that the convicted is
"highly likely" to murder again, if you think probability should play a
role in the math of deciding who lives and who dies.