(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: Home Fires

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:37:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
> I can also understand interpreting it as the ravings of an out-of-touch
> writer past his prime, in the style of Heinlein. Wolfe might indeed be a bit
> out of touch---it's hard to keep up, and how would one incorporate Twitter
> into sf anyway? And who would want to?

I don't think 'prime' has anything to do with it. This is just
ordinary mind-killing politics. Since people are intent on defending
Wolfe, let me give a liberal example where one could equally claim 'oh
it's just all SF! or alternate history!' (but so terrible SF that
chalking it up to politics is the *charitable* interpretation): the
story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Traders

Fulltext: http://www4.ncsu.edu/%7Emseth2/com417s12/readings/BellSpaceTraders.pdf

I commented (http://www.reddit.com/r/wikipedia/comments/r2334/the_space_traders_et_offers_amazing_technology_in/c42h1ab)

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Matthew Knight <jacobeiserman at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I'm currently 100 pages into "Home Fires," and I must say that the
> "sharia law--only in the EU" line punched me in the gut.  It made me start
> asking myself which particular pundits Wolfe has been reading.  As somebody
> who grew up in a very monoethnic fundamentalist Christian milieu, who now
> has several Middle Eastern friends, I have been finding myself forced into
> the role of the "defender of Islam" all too often lately out of basic
> frustration over some of the bald-faced generalizations and lies that get
> peddled as fact, and Europe's Islamic future is a meme that keeps coming up
> in discussions.  Maybe it's just personal experience making me
> oversensitive.

Quoted for truth. You might also find interesting a story of sorts by
SF author Dan Simmons
http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_04.htm and his discussion
of it http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_05.htm

--