(urth) Fringe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Fri Apr 6 11:23:05 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 11:18 AM, Larry Miller wrote:
> I dont understand why people take the conclusion as the whole series
> being a dream.  Everything that happened in  the show happened to the
> characters.  The flash sideways was a glimpse into the afterlife which
> took on the form of an alternate timeline.  What suggestion is there
> that it was a dream?

It ended when Jack ended, and it was his dad that came back from the
dead to reassure him that it was okay and Jack hadn't screwed up. I
realize Dad says that everyone there is dead and created the scenario to
help prepare themselves for the next life, but A) it's still kind of
weird that these dead people are choosing to rally at the funeral of a
guy that died before all but 2-3 of them had a chance to meet him, but
left out people that many of them had more intense, favorable emotional
connections to on the island and afterwards, and B) I notice that Jack
and his dad have this reveal/discussion in this separate room away from
the other cast, with simpler photography than elsewhere; it was made to
be kept secret from as much of the cast and crew as possible, which
shows a lack of prior commitment to the direction as much as a desire to
keep the secret to me. Same for the "remembering" scenes, where I think
at most three characters are party to it and of course they are not
explained.

It had lots of wish-fulfillment in it for the other characters, too,
there were very few if any characters in it that Jack hadn't met or at
least possibly heard of, and Jack is this super-responsible custodian
type who is soft-hearted and hates to see people suffer; it would make a
wonderful escapist fantasy for him  to be off the island, back working
with his ex and have his friends and redeemable enemies doing well in
responsible jobs, with some of the people he'd written off as
irredeemable getting their just deserts. And some of the people just
weren't there, presumably because it hurt his brain to think about them
anymore, like Walt and Michael.

And Claire's baby remaining a baby in the afterlife despite growing up
with him for several years and Sun's baby being back in the womb could
reflect his ambivalent attitudes about children in general and wanting
to have a family with Kate.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >