(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sun Apr 1 15:05:48 PDT 2012

On 3/31/2012 10:40 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Jeff Wilson: Supposedly, Apu-Punchau is a necromancer in reverse; he
>
>> traffics with the living on behalf of the other dead people.
>

> And isn't Apu PUnchau really Severian (one of him, anyway)? Severian
>
> is raising the dead, travelling through time, causing storms and
>
> earthquakes and all by channelling the energy of a star through his
>
> puny human cellular structures. Severian is a god and he is using magic,
>
> loathe though Gerry is to admit it. There is no way he can do what he does
>
> using what we define as science, i.e. physics, chemistry etc.

Except that the yet more powerful gods from Yesod do all he can and
more, and they cop to being material beings living in a technological
world, then proceed to show the evidence.

I think the Book supports both interpretations: dualism and a kind of
transcendentalism or continuism; mortal instrumentality advances and
eventually sublimes, doubling back or circulating through time and
appearing magical. Teilhard for the win!

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >