(urth) mysteries of the long sun

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:51:37 PDT 2011

>larry miller: Just finished reading Nightside the Long Sun.  I was

>really hoping that more than things would stand out on this second

>reading of the book.  I know Im missing something here and was wondering

>if any of you guys can tell me if there is something along the lines of puzzles
>or mysteries that I still might have overlooked.  Nightside seems
>pretty straightforward compared to New/Short books and thought maybe I
>just wasnt as attentive a reader as I should have been.  Just wanted
<some things to look out for and think about before I dive into Lake.

"dive into Lake" heh! Good one. Of course this is from a guy who has

hectored about Hector and found evidence jibing with jibers. My taste in

puns may be suspect.

I kind of agree with you larry. I think the story of Nightside is great. It

held the promise of a tale as engrossing as Severian's on first read. It

continues nicely in Lake but starts to tail off in Calde and sorta dies in

Exodus. Anyway, Nightside is mostly set-up. I think the best mysteries are

found in Lake though. All the stuff with Scylla and the bodies in storage

and stuff like that. And perhaps the best (worst?) Wolfe mystery of all

(since I haven't seen a glimmer of a successful solution so far from anyone,

anywhere) the mysterioius numbers on the Seal of Pas. Maybe larry can do it!