(urth) Jordan interview

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:27:05 PDT 2011

I have just been looking at the Jordan interview with GW, which has
been mentioned here a few times lately, and I noticed a couple of
things.

First, I can't find any reference to God's promise to Noah - the claim
that this is a long past universe is one that Wolfe makes unprompted,
when asked if it is this universe or a future one. However, he adds
'Something that we are repeating rather than something that we are',
which to me seems to count against the idea that that universe is
radically different in nature from the one we are in.

The other thing is the 'Christ figure' remark, which is often quoted
in a way that's not quite right. Here's what Wolfe says: 'In so far as
there is a Christ figure it is Severian. That doesn't mean he has to
be identified with Christ. He is in a position similar to that of
Christ. But really it is a different position because Christ really is
both God and man. Severian is not. Severian is a Christian rather than
a Christ.'