(urth) Father Inire/Paleamon

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Fri Oct 21 17:32:54 PDT 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:27 PM, larry miller <biglar1984 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did anybody on here ever consider a connection between Inire and
> Paleamon?  Paleamons face is always obscured by his goggles and his
> name is one of saintly and mythic origins.  I would even go so far as
> to say that there are two Paleamons.  The original human one who
> himself was exiled and the alien one (Inire?) who replaced him to keep
> watch over Sev and guide him to his eventual destiny.  There are many
> mysteries regarding the old torturer (why was he exiled?  How did he
> aquire Terminus Est? Etc.) that I think Wolfe wants us to puzzle out.
> Any thoughts?

I was under the impression Palaemon was potentially Ossipago. Some have made a case for:

Inire is Shaman is Ossipago is Boatman is Fechin is Hethor is...

Why I like Inire as playing the part of many characters is that it pairs well with the structure of characters in a play, a theme we see throughout the books.

And I am a sucker for the idea of Inire (father) playing a supervisory, escort sort of role in the Severian experiment, until they get it right and save the planet, universe, et al.

...ryan